Sunday, August 2, 2009

Xaviar's X2O, Yonkers

Just a quickie post devoted to my first visit to Xaviar's X2O, which is along the Yonkers waterfront.

Overall first impression: Great location. Nice building. Great environ.

Where we ate: Main dining room. Reminded me of the grand dining rooms you see on cruise ships. To date, I've been on three cruises (all three, different lines) and this room reminded me of the dining experiences I've had on board. The dining room has great river views and the building is on a pier, jutting into the river.

Service: Exceptional. I wish I took down the names of who waited on us. They kept the mimosas flowing and took very good care of us.

Cost: $38 per person for brunch. Pricey? Yes. However, I've eaten brunch at the Bellagio and the Venetian in Las Vegas, and those were on par, price wise, and quality wise, with Xaviars X2O.

Eaten: The husband had a asparagus and shrimp tempura starter and the pork loin entree w/swiss chard and polenta. The polenta was supposed to have jalapeno in it, however, when we tasted it, it didn't even have a hint of chile pepper in it. I ordered up the seafood bisque (which was lovely), and the garganelli w/rock shrimp and broccoli rabe/rapini in a light tomato cream sauce. Lovely meal.

Portion Size: Healthy without being heavy-handed. Enough to eat until sated, but not so much to be wasteful.

Special Feature/Note: In addition to the bottomless mimosas and bread assortment (highly recommend the pumpkin bread!), is the fact that the waiters come around with "tasting" portions of about four or five other items being offered. The day we were there, the "tasters" were: mushroom ravioli, lamb chop, coconut shrimp. I don't remember what else was offered. It was all truly delicious.

We ordered desserts. The husband had the Belgian Chocolate Dome, and I opted for the Warm Chocolate Souffle Cake. Both were lovely, inundating us with chocolate in different forms.

What I was surprised by: Mr. Kelly, to my knowledge, is not Asian; however, the few Asian items we enjoyed (tempura, mushroom ravioli--really seemed more like mushroom gyoza, and coconut shrimp) seemed to be executed with good intent. I look forward to trying out more Asian items the next time I visit.

What I regret: That I did not try out one of Mr. Kelly's steaks (though I don't recall if there was one on the brunch menu). I look forward to coming back and trying out more of the menu options.

Result: Definitely will be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment