Friday, May 20, 2011

White Plains: A Bit of Old News & Some New

It's been a while!

Let's see, what's happening in town:

Closed:
Meme Bakery (been closed a few months, lost track of how long it's been). Wish I could say I missed the place, despite its promise, I wasn't impressed.

Expanded (Now Closed):
Manna Foods
http://www.mannafoodsonline.com
171 Mamaroneck Avenue
White Plains, NY 10601-5302
(914) 946-2233

As of May 13th, the store re-opened after expanding into the adjacent space, thus doubling the size and breadth of the store. I can't wait to head in there for my vitamins and browse the new shelves!

A note for some folks who don't traverse to the depths of the back of the store: there is prepared food available (soups, and other items for lunches, all vegetarian if my memory serves me correct). I need to head there ASAP!

Been Open a While:
Melt
http://www.meltsandwich.com
277 Mamaroneck Avenue
White Plains, NY 10605
(914) 358-1364

How or why is it, I JUST RECENTLY realized this shop opened? Apparently it's been open since 2009!

It's about a block further than I normally walk during lunches, but I figured I'd give it a try. So the first sunny day after I realized this shop exists, I popped in.

Considering I'm only four months out from weight loss surgery, and being wooed by the smokey smell in the shop, I opted for one of their half salads, the Wedge, which had some bacon on it. I had them add some chicken to it so my nutritional need for more protein were met. With a large ice tea, lunch came to about $9. A little pricey for a half salad, but worth it.

Mmmmmm.... smokey meat! I'm coming to get you. Next time! Next time!

Everything was fresh and tasty. Not a wilted leaf in the bowl. The iced tea was good and didn't taste like instant dreck, always a plus.

I'm ogle-ing their menu right this moment, and day dreaming of what else I might have at my next visit.

One request (if the owners are reading): Nutritional info please! I'd love to know calories and protein counts of the menu items. It helps a lot to negotiate what I (and no doubt other folks, too) can have for lunch!

They even have a blog http://meltsandwich.blogspot.com/ ! And thanks to them, I didn't know about the existence of the 914 Magazine:)

Good luck to the folks at Melt! Hope you're around for a while! Good food, plus a good excuse to get a little extra walk in my day!

Note: My links are not hyperlinking. Hope to fix this once at home tonight. But I'm so ready to hit publish post, RIGHT. THIS. MINUTE!

*PUBLISH!*

No comments:

Post a Comment